Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Dinner

Sylvia and I went somewhere more respectable this time, a local mexican place with some serious charm. I had thought before of explaining to her that there was no philosopically respectable view which reconciled the naive conception of human agency with the basic facts about our material being, and that even denying determinism by quantum mechanics was of little help. But, thinking better of it, I decided that all this could do was throw her, like me, into a depression from which there was no escape. So instead, we talked again about virtue ethics. I wonder if one is morally obliged to cite one sources in conversations with non-philosophers. I think I may have (unintentionally!) given Sylvia the idea had thought up the whole idea of virtue ethics myself.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Jonathan SF said...

What? I had put my faith in QM. Can you please explain to me why you don't think QM can save room for agency?

Yours desperately,
Jonathan SF

10:36 PM  
Blogger Naxos "Nat" Simeon said...

Dear Jonathan,

If you really think you can locate free will in the collapse of the wave-function, all my best. But from my point of view, having personal level decisions being ultimately determined by a series of random quantum events is no replacement for a will.

11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home