Tuesday, April 12, 2005

This Blog Title

I've been wondering today whether this blog should really be called metathought. I haven't really had many thoughts about thoughts lately. I think rather the purpose of this blog is to analyze the role of philosophy in A) contemporary intellectual life, and, well, B) my personal life. It is deal with the intrinsic difficulty of reconciling pure thought with well the realities of a complex and difficult world. So perhaps the blog should be called metaphilosophy, but, frankly, that sounds too post-modern. I'm not really interested in the self-conscious reflection on philosophy per se (what one might call the philosophy of philosophy) but rather simply the relation of philosophy to other thing. But no name can quite capture that in a very pithy way, so I may as well stick with metathought. After all it is a form of talking about a form of thought, so it is one partiuclar form of metathought, or perhaps metapractice as really philosophy is a practice.

By the way more on Zane in a bit. Apparently our little "conversation" about the self has piqued his interest in analytic philosophy. I saw him this evening walking home with "Reasons and Persons" which he said was very "Freudian"...

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nat, I've been enjoying your blog, and I applaud your ambition to say something about philosophy as regards modern intellectual life. I haven't been able to locate you on the web, other than on this blog. Can you say something about where you teach and what your interests are? Or do you have reasons for keeping that information under wraps?

Regards,
Michael, Sheffield

11:32 PM  
Blogger Sally said...

I am bookmarking. For sure.

11:38 PM  
Blogger Naxos "Nat" Simeon said...

Dear Michael from Sheffield,

I suppose it's inevitable that someone aske me why my blog is anonymous--which it is. I do think the cloak of anonymity is not always a good thing in the general online community. I have two reasons for my anonymity. One is that I am young and likely to be looking for employment at various points and don't want to say anything stupid publically. Well anything more than I do off the web, anyway. The second is that I want this blog to be a bit more three-dimensional than some of the usual philosophy blogs. I want to be able to talk about more than just when Im going to the next conference and whose comment was very interesting, and that's hard to do if one's not anonymous. So apologies if you think this is cowardly, which it probably ...

Nat

12:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No objection. I was just wondering.
Anonymously,
Michael

9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Naxos "Nat" Simeon, I've been wondering about what you'd like to express by the choice of your nom de plume. Could you give me some hints?

Thanks,
Anne-Sophie

11:35 PM  
Blogger Naxos "Nat" Simeon said...

The explanation of the name is kind of a*mystery*, I'd like to leave it for people to figure out.

Nax

1:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://ericbachmann.portmerch.com/stores/schemes/dingbats/color/images/john-mayer.html#1]john mayer[/url]
[url=http://ericbachmann.portmerch.com/stores/schemes/dingbats/color/images/carrie-underwood.html#2]carrie underwood[/url]
[url=http://ericbachmann.portmerch.com/stores/schemes/dingbats/color/images/robin-thicke.html#3]robin thicke[/url]
john mayer
carrie underwood
robin thicke

12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://ericbachmann.portmerch.com/stores/schemes/dingbats/color/images/john-mayer.html#1]john mayer[/url]
[url=http://ericbachmann.portmerch.com/stores/schemes/dingbats/color/images/carrie-underwood.html#2]carrie underwood[/url]
[url=http://ericbachmann.portmerch.com/stores/schemes/dingbats/color/images/robin-thicke.html#3]robin thicke[/url]
john mayer
carrie underwood
robin thicke

6:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home